Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I just returned from a weekend in Rhode Island, a state that has got it going on when it comes to public restroom hand dryers. The whole state (and by whole state I mean at least three buildings in Providence) is full of these brilliant inventions called Dyson Airblades. You put your hands in them, palms forward, into little hand-shaped pods, and slowly draw them out as a thin blade of air shoots horizontally from the sides, magically drying your hands faster than you ever thought possible. It's amazing. It feels like the water is being instantly sucked out of your skin. It feels like the future.

Just take it from this blue-shirted woman to your right. Or take it from one of the shocking number of YouTube videos demonstrating these sensational implements. Or take it from me, who washed her hands three times in the Providence airport just to dry them.

4 comments:

caolan said...

I just re-found your blog. They have these in the New Haven train station, too, and also they had them some other place (maybe in Rhode Island? Yes, you must be right about their RI-centrism; I think I'm thinking of the Showcase Cinemas in North Attleboro or something) and there were TWO and an old lady was mad at me because I was taking too long (really you want to go real slow because it is fun and also to watch your skin get deformed! and also to get dry) and I wanted to tell her that there was another one three feet away but I couldn't do it so I just left with sort of damp hands.

Kate said...

Wow, I should re-find my blog too. The problem with not posting for a long time is that when you think of something you want to post, you feel like it has to be REALLY great, because after all you don't post that often so when you do it better be something really special. Then the stakes just grow and you never post anything at all.

Also, no one should leave the Dyson Air Blade with damp hands. Shame on that woman.

caolan said...

Oh, just post some stupid thing, and be like, "I'm back! and posting with this stupid thing" and then you will be back and you can continue to post stupid things. Paul and I were reading a lot of your more recent entries and we were delighted & wanted more.

Joanna Goddard said...

ha, that is so funny! i would love this :)